therenamer.com (FORUM CLOSED, CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS)

Awesome Simple Best TV Show Renamer .....with Episode Titles!
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Information Loss
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:39 pm 

I'd really like to be able to use theRenamer, it seems to work pretty well, but I don't like the information loss that it introduces into the process.

Let me try to explain.
here is a new filename: MnVsWld0506.extreme.desert.real.hdtv.xvid-momentum.avi
it's got all the relevant details, showname: Man Vs. Wild, ep: 5x06, title: extreme desert, source/riptype: real hdtv, codec: xvid, release group: momentum

another file: man.vs.wild.s05e05.fan.vs.wild.real.hdtv.xvid-momentum.avi
similarly split, though this file the showname is full and not abreviated, and season/ep # is using s/e markers

so it would be great to be able to rename both, so the showname and season/ep come into sync, making sure the title is correct, and they are put into the correct subfolder, but then just appending the end information onto the newly renamed file.

so as an example (given 0x0 and caps):
MnVsWld0506.extreme.desert.real.hdtv.xvid-momentum => Man.vs.Wild.05x06.extreme.desert.real.hdtv.xvid-momentum
man.vs.wild.s05e05.fan.vs.wild.real.hdtv.xvid-momentum.avi => Man.vs.Wild.05x05.fan.vs.wild.real.hdtv.xvid-momentum.avi

or something similarly setup, I may be alone in this, but I like knowing the source of a rip, codec, and group (especially useful further down the line if a better version comes out, either a proper from a diff group or maybe a dvdrip month later)

If we were to throw out that information it becomes more difficult later to figure out if a new version is worthwhile, etc...

even just a checkbox, to append "extra end junk" or something like that onto new file name

thanks

Post subject: Re: Information Loss
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Sorry. But the whole point of theRenamer is to remove the other information, leaving just the clean filename of Season/Episode and titles.

There's theRenamer.log that is output at the folder of that destination file, which keeps the original filename.
This log was meant to refer back what was the original filename in case needed to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:12 pm 

While I understand your original intentions, on theSettings (page 2) you have keywords that start an ignore block, so that means you might, or at least could have that ignored text block as an internal string. Couldn't you just give a another checkbox, maybe even on that page, to append ignored text, or some such statement, to the final filename. Off by default, but then people who would like to keep information would still be able to use your program. I really like the work you've done in decoding shows, getting relevant info from databases and such, and I don't want to try to create my own to duplicate your efforts (I've been using my own perl script up til now), but I can't use your program as it is to do what I need done with my collection :(

Here's hoping you can add an option.

Thanks.

---Calc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

k. Added to To-Do list

-EDIT:
Sometimes, the original filename does include the titles.

Example:
Old: Battlestar S4E11.Sometimes.a.Great.Notion.HDTV XviD-FQM[www moviex info].txt
will turn out
New: Battlestar S4E11.Sometimes a Great Notion.Sometimes.a.Great.Notion.HDTV XviD-FQM[www moviex info].txt

This is because I can only know when the episode number ends. everything behind is 'other information'.
Maybe appending the entire original filename is better?
Battlestar S4E11.Sometimes a Great Notion.[Battlestar S4E11.Sometimes.a.Great.Notion.HDTV XviD-FQM[www moviex info]].txt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:35 am 

thanks man.

personally I like option 1 best (though providing both options may be good for some folks), I know isolating pieces inside of that information block can be a massive PITA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:40 am 

curious,
what would the movie "lap-kada.avi" & "lap-kadb.avi" turn into? release group: lap, movie: knight and day

also tv show: "aaf-the.real.hustle.s09e08.pdtv" release group (extrainfo): aaf (i think), show: the.real.hustle ep: s09e08 type (more extrainfo): pdtv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:20 am 
Site Admin

CalcMan wrote:
curious,
what would the movie "lap-kada.avi" & "lap-kadb.avi" turn into? release group: lap, movie: knight and day

also tv show: "aaf-the.real.hustle.s09e08.pdtv" release group (extrainfo): aaf (i think), show: the.real.hustle ep: s09e08 type (more extrainfo): pdtv

For start, Movie mode actually scans the folder name where the file came from (not from filename unless it reaches the Fetch Folder).
Unlike TV shows, movies usually come in a Folder (INCLUDES movie name) with the avi/sample/screenshots files inside. The files are usually 'short form' names (like lap-kada.avi).

IF a movie is ONLY a single file, it would contain the full movie name. otherwise no body will know what they are getting :)

I don't think I will keep another txt file of all known release groups or process anything.
I'll just append whatever text in the original filename to the new file name at the back. I'll [ bracket ] it.
eg. Battlestar S4E11.Sometimes a Great Notion.[Sometimes.a.Great.Notion.HDTV XviD-FQM[www moviex info]].txt