therenamer.com (FORUM CLOSED, CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS)

Awesome Simple Best TV Show Renamer .....with Episode Titles!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 7:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:58 pm 

Alfred,

Would it be possible to have an option to rename a downloaded file based on the name of the folder that the file resides in rather than using the naming of the file itself?
I currently sometimes use Newsbin Pro for downloads and it has an option to name a folder after an nzb file. Sometimes the files I download have very cryptic names and if I were able to force therenamer to look at the folder rather than the file, there would be far fewer problems with renaming files.

Thanks for your program,
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:27 am 
Site Admin

Possible. Can u give some examples?
State the paths/folder names clearly so I can test it on my side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:44 pm 

Hello again,

Like I said in my first post, Newsbin Pro has an option to name the folder that the downloaded file is put into. So for instance:
I am looking for a video called "The Best Movie Ever". I look around and find it, however, when it is downloaded, instead of being titled "The Best Movie Ever.avi", it is titled "TBME (2010).avi". Now if TheRenamer looks at that filename, it will have no idea what the video is. However, if that video is in a folder with the proper name (i.e. "The Best Movie Ever (2010)"), and The Renamer can be forced to look at the folder name instead of the filename, it will have no problem knowing what the video is supposed to be named.
When I find the video that I am looking for on Binsearch or whatever search engine I look through, I save the nzb file that Newsbin Pro creates, with the name and year of the video, as I can save the nzb file with any name that I choose. Thus the path would be something like this:

D:/Movies Downloaded/Not Renamed/The Best Movie Ever (2010)/TBME.avi

Where "The Best Movie Ever (2010) is the folder named after the nzb file I created and "TBME.avi", is the actual video that has been downloaded and put into the folder named after the nzb file.

I hope this help as I really don't know any other way to explain this. It would be great if you could implement this feature. I know Newsbin Pro has this ability, Agent newsreader has the ability to set certain folders for each nzb downloaded and I am sure that most all of the others have some sort of way to name a folder to save in.

Thanks for considering this,
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:15 am 
Site Admin

I thought u were talking about TV shows.

For movies, it is looking at parent folder name instead of filename.
Unless, if the parent folder name IS the fetch folder, it will fall back to searching the filename.

As long as you have this:
'D:/Movies Downloaded/Not Renamed/The Best Movie Ever (2010)/TBME.avi' .... it should work fine.
theRenamer will not scan 'TBME', but 'The Best Movie Ever (2010)' for movie name.

Did I read your post correctly? Please confirm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:26 pm 

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for clarifying the naming of Movies.

I was hoping that it could be implemented for both Movies and TV shows. Since Movies already work like that, then TV shows would be a bonus. I sure could use it. Of course then you would have to figure out a naming convention for the folders that TheRenamer would look for. I.E. TVshow.season1 or TVshow.S1 or whatever. That would be for you to decide. I hope that you may be able to do this for those of us that may use it.

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 am 
Site Admin

Hmm, maybe a checkbox to force folder name as showname.

I need examples for tv shows. please give a full path example.

EDIT-
This looks like something for you.
http://www.therenamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=529

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 pm 

I stumbled upon this post as a result of the recent changelog that adds the option to not use episode titles. I got excited when I saw the name of the thread but then i realized that you did not actually implement the option to rename based on the parent folder name.

The example file path that you asked for above this is as follows:
C:\Downloads\TV\Criss.Angel.Mindfreak.S06E01.DSR.Repack.XviD-OMiCRON\camf.s06e01.dsr.repack.xvid-omicron.avi

For me, the folder name is always a more accurate representation of the show name than the actual video file as the release groups often abbreviate the file names or alternatively they mess up the filename all together. Example,
C:\Downloads\TV\Greek.S02.DVDRip\GREEK.S02E22.DVDRip.XViD-CLUE\clue-g222.avi

In the above cases I use a task i've created in robotask to actually rename the files according to their parent folder names and then i just re-run theRenamer. Also in my experience, i could rename every single show I download according to the parent folder and it would be 100% ready for renaming with theRenamer.

It would however be fantastic if there was an option to use the folder name to search for tv rather than the file name for those of us that have a need for it :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:38 am 
Site Admin

From what I can tell, it is more common that tv shows are NOT contained in a folder when you obtain the file.
That is why it is scanning the filename.

For movies, it is the opposite.
They usually come in a folder, and the folder has the correct movie name. The file itself is usually shortforms of the movie name.

Having an option doesn't sound too practical too. Since you will always need to toggle between filename and folder name for priority check.

There is the Database workaround:

If you always get 'camf' filenames (camf.s06e01.dsr.repack.xvid-omicron.avi), you can set 'camf' in the database and type in the IDcode.
This will force all shownames called 'camf' to go to a specific URL to grab the titles.
Showname matchings in database must be exact, but not case sensitive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm 

alfred wrote:
From what I can tell, it is more common that tv shows are NOT contained in a folder when you obtain the file.
That is why it is scanning the filename.

For movies, it is the opposite.
They usually come in a folder, and the folder has the correct movie name. The file itself is usually shortforms of the movie name.

Having an option doesn't sound too practical too. Since you will always need to toggle between filename and folder name for priority check.

There is the Database workaround:

If you always get 'camf' filenames (camf.s06e01.dsr.repack.xvid-omicron.avi), you can set 'camf' in the database and type in the IDcode.
This will force all shownames called 'camf' to go to a specific URL to grab the titles.
Showname matchings in database must be exact, but not case sensitive.

Hi Alfred, thanks for your reply. I however submit to you that every single tv show I have ever downloaded comes in it's own folder which contains an sfv and the rars which extracts into the video file. I have been on various private trackers as well as other scene sources.

Of course I understand that this does not apply to everyone but I do feel like adding an option to rename according to folder name is very practical. As every show i download is in a folder, i will check the option to "Toggle folder naming" and forget about it :) I will never have to turn it on and off.

And I would like very much to use the database workaround however it happens far too often. Many release groups mess up the file names because they know the folder name reflects the name of the show properly.

Another example, In.Treatment.S02.HDTV.XviD-SCC\In.Treatment.S02E09.HDTV.XviD-aAF\aaf-it.s02e09.avi

Please please consider it :/ I made a donation btw, keep up the good work. Confirmation number: 0BL535890G9938501

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:11 am 
Site Admin

Ok, it will be in TV settings. Use Folder Name option.